by Judith A. Halstead PhD RN ANEF FAAN (Author), Betsy Frank PhD RN ANEF (Author)
First Edition Winner of the Journal of Nursing Education’s Top Teaching Tools Award!
This award-winning text presents top-notch guidance and a host of practical tools for nursing clinicians transitioning into a faculty role. The second edition is updated to address the many significant innovations taking place in nursing education and how they affect the faculty role including expanding emphasis on interprofessional education, increasing use of interactive teaching strategies and technology enhanced learning, acquiring research funding in a competitive environment, and the growing importance of fostering faculty leadership and succession.
Enriching new chapter features include examples of tools, rubrics, and strategies to illustrate concept application; “Getting Started” callouts offering “first step” strategies/activities to help novice educators apply chapter concepts in their faculty role―also serving as ready-made faculty assignments. The second edition also includes real life case examples that guide novice educators in managing common challenges in academia. Extensive resources, strategies and tips along with guidance for self-assessment help new educators to adapt and even excel during the challenging first year in a faculty role.
Content New to the Second Edition:
- Discusses key changes and challenges in the nursing profession, health care, higher education, and nursing education
- Covers teaching in interprofessional education environments
- Addresses teaching in technology enhanced learning environments and evolving curricular models
- Explains how to establish teaching “presence”
- Emphasizes developing faculty leaders and leadership succession
- Addresses acquiring funding to support research
- Includes new chapter on establishing student-faculty relationships
- Delivers proven strategies to help novice educators assume the faculty role
- Provides real-life case studies describing how to manage common challenges
- Includes resources, tips, and strategies on navigating the first faculty year
- Helps novice educators to engage in self-assessment to determine “best fit” in the academic environment
- Paperback: 222 pages
- Publisher: Springer Publishing Company; 2 edition (August 5, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0826139981
- ISBN-13: 978-0826139986
- Product Dimensions: 6.6 x 0.5 x 9.2 inches